Valentine’s Day is around the corner along with a lot of expectations! Out of all the expectation hangovers people come to me with, those around love and relationships are the most common. So I am on a mission this year to save you from a Valentine’s Day Expectation Hangover!! (Tweet This!)
It doesn’t matter if you are single, married, divorced, going through a break-up, or “it’s complicated” you deserve to enjoy February 14th. And you may be saying it’s a made up holiday and just like any other day but the truth is that Valentine’s Day exists so don’t be a scrooge, celebrate it!!!
To help you do just that, I put together a bunch of creative tips to make this holiday full of what it supposed to be full of: LOVE! Today’s vlog is a little longer than usual but I encourage you to watch it because there are lots of fun ideas for you to enjoy. =)
Here’s an overview of what I detail in the vlog . . .
For all relationship statuses, make it a day to celebrate LOVE, not just romantic or with people you know:
– Grab a box of Valentine’s day cards (like the kind we got in elementary school) and write sweet messages or inspiring quotes in them. Put them in your purse/bag and throughout the day on the 14th distribute them to strangers. It will bring so many smiles to so many faces!
– We are better at loving others when we are good to ourselves so treat yourself to something you love. A massage, nice bath (I give a recipe for a DIY home detox bath in vlog), movie, make your favorite meal, or buy yourself your favorite treat.
For those in relationships, make agreements instead of having expectations. If you don’t want to be let down, make the plans and be clear about what you desire. Do some things to take the pressure off of this day:
– An example of agreement is to commit to doing something together which can become a ritual. For example, get a bunch of construction paper, stickers, crayons, glitter, etc., and set up a card making station at home. Put on some fun music you both enjoy and make cards for each other. Skip the prefix menu and crowds! Get creative and cozy at home instead.
– Decide to alternate holidays so this year it may be your turn to be in charge of treating the other to a Valentine’s Day surprise and next year it’s your honey’s turn. This way one person can 100% give and the other can 100% receive.
For those not in relationships, don’t boycott this holiday and do nothing to celebrate. This is a BIG mistake single people make because all it does is block the energy of love. If you want a relationship and more love in your life, then celebrate all the love ALREADY in your life by GIVING and RECEIVING it! And remember being single is not a disorder and you are not alone. In fact, last year, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 124.6 million Americans 16 years and older were single, or 50.2 percent of the population!! (for those of you non-math whizzes that is half the USA)
– Give: Pick your 5-10 closet friends and family members. Print out a picture of you with that person (thanks to smart phones and social media it is easy to find pics and print out at a pharmacy chain or Target). Put the picture in a nice Valentine’s Day card and mail it to them writing “What I love about you is…..”
– Receive: Today email 5-10 of your closest friends and family members and ask them to pick 5 positive words that describe you. Once you get all the words, make a word art picture out of them using a program like wordle.net or make a homemade one (I show you mine in the vlog). Then put it up on your bathroom mirror on Valentine’s Day so you can really see the loving ways people see you!!
Have a Happy, Loving, Joyous Valentine’s Day!! XOXOXO!
P.S. Getting over a breakup and on with your life is the topic of my latest podcast episode. Listen to me coach Monika on getting her mojo back on after a break-up. Go HERE to listen or listen from my website if you don’t have iTunes.
P.P.S. And if you’re loving the “Over it and On With It” podcast, please spread the love. Here’s a tweet for you:
P.P.P.S. Attention business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs, the third free training video for B-School is out today. I LOVE this one because you will hear from grads of this program how it changed their business and their life. Watch here. Also I will be sharing the special ways I will support you in B-School on Feb 17th.