WITH CHRISTINE HASSLER
EP 161: Having an Unhealthy Relationship with Food with Christina
This coaching session is about the need for love and connection. Whether or not you struggle in your relationship with food like Christina does, what we really end up talking about is how loneliness and a lack of love can lead us to fill ourselves up with other things. I also explain how stress can increase the appetite making it harder to have a healthy relationship with food.
Feeling alone, disconnected, and isolated is a very stressful thing. When we feel truly connected, seen, and loved we also feel safe. This regulates our hormones and gets us out of ‘fight or flight.’
When we fully understand our brain chemistry we can work to not be so hard on ourselves and understand it may be more than just a lack of willpower. If you have too much cortisol being released in your system because you are stressed, your body thinks that it is in danger so it increases your appetite which increases your motivation to eat. Instead of using your will to combat what is happening hormonally in your brain, use your will to create better chemicals in your brain.
Growth is a process, not an event. Yes, you will have aha moments, read a book, do a workshop, have a healing that causes massive shifts. But, sometimes the issues you have been working on for years come back. I stand with you and believe that anything is possible, I believe in miracles, I believe you could be free of something that has plagued you for years AND I also stand with you in support that if there has been something that has plagued you for decades and you are not ‘free’ of it yet, you will be. But, the more you judge yourself and the more pressure you put on yourself the more your issue will hang on. So, let go of that frustration.
Do you put enough time and energy into forming strong, intimate, loving, and connected bonds with people?
In honor of Mental Health Day, last week’s Coaches Corner deals with depression and anxiety. I share tips on how you can support people in your life who may be dealing with it. Listen to the podcast and get a free gift to help you move through emotions, not recycle them. To get the gift go to ChristineHassler.com/emotions
- What is your relationship with food or other substances?
- Do you feel balanced and believe you have a healthy relationship with food, alcohol, sugar or any other substance or do you have a tendency to binge?
- Do you look to food or drinks to make you feel a certain way or to numb you completely?
- Have you struggled with weight for a lot of your life?
- Are you aware that you binge eat or overeat but you just can’t seem to shift it?
- Do you feel intimately connected to a lot of people in your life? Do you have a soul family?
Christina would like guidance on how to heal the relationship between her, her way of eating, and her body.
Christina’s Key Insights and Ahas:
- She has been binge eating since she was young.
- A teacher told her she could lose weight.
- There was not a lot of love in her household.
- She’s connected binge eating with love.
- Intimacy can be scary for her.
- She’s working more on being comfortable with herself.
- She’s working on forgiving her mother.
- She is often lonely.
How to Get Over It and On With It:
- She needs to be open to the love, support, and compassion she received when she is vulnerable with others.
- She should work on making herself feel full through connection instead of food.
- When she has the desire to binge, she should stand in front of a mirror, breathe, and search for connection within herself.
- Or, when she has the desire to binge, she can look at a picture of herself as a little girl and feel the connection.
Assignments For You:
- Go out and connect your soul family. Do whatever it takes. Consider attending my Spring Retreat in March.
- If you have a pattern of binge eating or overeating, ask yourself what are you really hungry for.
- Use a mirror to connect intimately with yourself.
Express — No time for an outfit change after work? Express rewrites the rules of dressing for a job, with style by delivering fashion-forward essentials to your door. Express has pants, worktops, dresses, and more. Listeners to Over It and On With It will receive $25 off when you spend $100 by using the code ‘4843’ during in-store or online checkout.
Christine Hassler — Join the Free Over It and On With It Community.
To watch episodes of coaching sessions, go to Youtube.com/christinehassler
Assist@ChristineHassler.com — If you want to be a guest on this show.
Tweetables:Intimacy is really ‘in-to-me-see.’ True intimacy is allowing yourself to be totally seen by another person. https://apple.co/1hO8XZR #overitandonwithit Click To Tweet Being connected to other people and feeling seen and loved by others is a massive part of having a healthy emotional and mental life. https://apple.co/1hO8XZR #overitandonwithit Click To Tweet Vulnerability isn’t about letting people see our weakness. Vulnerability is just about letting people see us. https://apple.co/1hO8XZR #overitandonwithit Click To Tweet