WITH CHRISTINE HASSLER
EP 187: Transform Your Challenges Into Your Calling with Dale
This episode is about turning your challenges into your calling. Today’s caller, Dale, is looking for guidance on how to reach out to clients to support a new coaching business. Dale’s unique gift is that he has schizophrenia. He wants to help families of people with schizophrenia to help them see their family member’s illness in a different light. Mental health disorders still have a stigma to them and Dale is an incredible example of someone who chooses to thrive in the face of both adversity and shame. Coaches will get a lot of value because we talk about reaching your target market and knowing the boundaries of your skill set.
The original definition of passion is suffering. Over time we evolved the word passion to mean something that we love.
Making your challenges your calling is inspirational. As we move through our challenges, we accept them, we process them, and then we rise above them when we ask the question, “How can I use this to not only help others but to actually enjoy my life and the lessons, challenges, and opportunities I have created and that come to me in this lifetime?”
Your challenge is your best asset because you are in the process. You know what it is like. You are more relatable and you can be in it with people. Don’t think you have to be perfect. Think about how the thing you judge the most about yourself could be your best asset. And when it comes to labels, diseases, or challenges in life, it is counterproductive to be ashamed or upset about any of those things. It only makes you play small and it makes you hide. It prevents you from doing the work you are here to do in the world.
As long as your insecurities and shames and doubts are still in place it will be a block for you. Stand in who you are. Your challenges make you uniquely qualified to answer your calling and step into your greatest strengths.
Where can you be an interpreter? How can you help people that may be struggling with something? Where can you turn your passion, aka your suffering, into a calling?
Unleashed is a program I teach through Mindvalley that is mentioned in the podcast.
- Do you have shame that is stopping you from making the unique difference you are here to make?
- Do you have a big dream or calling but you are overwhelmed by the ‘how’ part? In other words, you don’t know quite where to start.
- In listening to this call, does any part of you go into sympathy as he tells his story or the stories of how other families have been impacted by schizophrenia?
- Are you willing to use any challenges in your life to be an inspiration or do you tend to use them as excuses for why you do not have what you want or why you cannot take action?
Dale would like guidance on how to start a coaching practice for families of those with schizophrenia.
Dale’s Key Insights and Ahas:
- He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.
- He wants to become a coach to help families of others diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- He has taken courses and studies coaching.
- He recognizes there is a stigma of shame around schizophrenia.
- His parents were supportive of him.
- He gives people hope.
- He has a unique perspective.
- His strengths are compassion, empathy, and his history.
- He wants to move from friend to coach.
- He’s a writer.
How to Get Over It and On With It:
- He needs to stand for who he is and the truth of his journey.
- He needs to be creative the way he approaches clients.
- He should build a website and write articles about his journey.
- He should take the pressure off himself to have all the answers.
- He should let go of any feelings of inadequacy or insecurity.
- Don’t forget about the power of a referral-based business.
- Share your story. Write some articles, put them on a blog, and join Facebook groups.
- Let go of your feelings of inadequacy. Write a list of all the things you think will prevent people from hiring you and then write all the reasons why you are qualified to step into your calling.
Organifi — is an organic superfood supplement line that makes quality, trusted nutrition convenient and acceptable. Their Complete Protein is delicious. It’s a plant-based powder that contains proteins, healthy fats, and vitamins from whole foods. For 20% off your order use the code ‘OVERIT’ to receive 20% off your order.
Rothy’s — Everyday flats for women and girls on the go. They are stylish, classic, and comfortable in four fashionable styles. These cute and sexy shoes made from recycled plastic water bottles are the softest shoes you will ever put on your feet. Rothy’s is offering Over It and On With It listeners free shipping with no minimum purchase with the code ‘OVER’ at checkout. You will love them!
Christine Hassler — Join the Free Over It and On With It Community.
To watch episodes of coaching sessions, go to Youtube.com/christinehassler
Assist@ChristineHassler.com — To reach out to this week’s guest.
Tweetables:What you think is your own stigma may actually be your best asset. http://apple.co/1hO8XZR #overitandonwithit Click To Tweet One of the most powerful things we can do as coaches is really just listening to someone. http://apple.co/1hO8XZR #overitandonwithit Click To Tweet Your challenges make you uniquely qualified to answer your specific calling. http://apple.co/1hO8XZR #overitandonwithit Click To Tweet