WITH CHRISTINE HASSLER
EP 352: How to Have a Healthy Relationship with a Family Member Who Isn’t Doing the Work with Dominique
This episode is about embodying the personal development work we do. Today’s caller, Dominique, would like to have a relationship with her sister. There is a lot of family history and many things have happened between them. She wants a closer relationship but her sister is not doing the work. We discuss ways she can not take things personally and how she can be the change she wants to see.
When we are learning about ourselves and digging up old wounds, going back to the source is intense. Everything can feel amplified and we tend to be more sensitive to triggers, especially around our family. Personal development is not an overnight process and we need to look at triggers as opportunities for growth.
When we constantly want people to be different, we are constantly disappointed and triggered. We waste time and energy that we could be spending doing our own work. We create the possibility of people being different when we are different. When we are the change we want to see. It is the best advertisement for anyone to want a different relationship with us.
When we say yes to being any kind of facilitator, coach, or therapist any time we work with people’s emotions and their past, all of our stuff comes forward. We have to show up in a way that is embodied to help others. You can read all the books and read all the theories but until you do the work and embody it, how are you going to help people?
Mark October 7‒9, 2022 on your calendar as I am called to facilitate another Women’s Signature Retreat! It will be in Austin, Texas. More details to follow.
Subscribe in iTunes | Stitcher | SoundCloud | Android | Google
- Are you in a dynamic where you want a more vulnerable, deeper connection but the other person isn’t?
- Do you continue to be triggered in certain family situations or a relationship dynamic?
- Does someone make you feel rejected, judged, or dismissed?
- Are you doing the work and feel as if you had made progress but then, when with your family, you get triggered?
Dominique gets triggered by her sister. She would like to share a deeper connection with her but is not sure how to get there.
Dominique’s Key Insights and Ahas:
- She is in grad school to become a therapist.
- She has faced her childhood trauma and the toxic dynamic within her family.
- She has been a people-pleaser.
- She had a psychological and spiritual awakening.
- She is the middle child in an immigrant family.
- Her younger sister patronizes her and disrespects her.
- She craves attention and love from her sister.
- She has more awareness than her sister.
- Her inner child gets defensive and she retreats inside herself.
How to Get Over It and On With It:
- Accept that her sister’s soul may not be ready to do the deep work.
- Do not take her sister’s actions personally and honor her boundaries.
- Ask her sister for clarity about the things she says while maintaining a high vibration.
- Set an intention to find her soul sisters.
- Let her sister see her be loving and embodying the change she would like to see.
- Be gentle with herself during this process.
- Perform a ritual to ground herself before meeting with her family.
- Remove expectations of herself and others and accept where everyone is.
Christine Hassler — Join the Free Over It and On With It Community
Christine Hassler Podcasts Including Coaches Corner
Expectation Hangover, by Christine Hassler
@ChristineHassler on Instagram
@SacredUnionCouples on Instagram
Assist@ChristineHassler.com — Males who want to be on the show
Jill@ChristineHassler.com — For information on any of my services
Get on the Waitlist to be coached on the show.
Get on the list to be notified about the upcoming certification program for coaches.
Tweetables:It takes two people to change a relationship. Click To Tweet Our triggers are opportunities for growth. Click To Tweet We can’t expect someone who hurt us to fix our wounds by changing themselves. Click To Tweet
Get Instant Clarity on Whats Holding you back from the life you want.
Take my Over It & On With It assessment and get crystal clear on how to overcome what ever it is in the way of living the life of you truly want... in just three simple steps: