WITH CHRISTINE HASSLER
EP 380: Finding Joy in Times of Grief with Kate
This episode is about honoring lost loved ones and loving our way through grief. Today’s caller, Kate, is a young woman who is grieving the loss of her mother. Christine offers comfort and ways she can feel joy alongside the tears by doing things in a way that honors the beautiful memories of her mother.
In this crazy ride of a life, there are times of unbelievable joy, heart-bursting gratitude, and sometimes heart-wrenching grief. These are all aspects of love. Yet, none of us live forever, and we are all going to lose people we love.
Loss is one of the hardest things we encounter in the human experience. We don’t get out of this world without suffering. But, if we see grief and loss as part of love and we can see our grief as an expression of love, then it helps us have the courage to actually feel our way through it.
It is helpful to be honest about our feelings and not worry about drowning in them but rather be intentional about welcoming our feelings and know that we have a life preserver and will not drown. We are more likely to drown in feelings we suppress than in feelings we allow.
The beautiful and difficult thing about the human experience is that we feel deeply, especially if we’ve shifted ourselves out of patterns of suppression, distraction, repression, and numbing.
- Have you lost someone or something recently and you are afraid to dive into your grief because you don’t know how deep it will go?
- Do you have a parent that is on the other side and you’d like to cultivate a relationship with them or do things in their honor?
- Are you saving things or not doing things in your life and grief could be an inspiration to do them?
- Are you willing to open your heart fully to love even if that means losing?
As the holidays approach, Kate is grieving over the loss of her mother. She is searching for guidance on how to handle her grief.
Kate’s Key Insights and Ahas:
- Her mother passed away after a battle with cancer.
- She is in her early 20s.
- She and her mother bonded over gardening.
- People are offering condolences and advice on how to get over her grief.
- She is an only child.
- Her mother wants her to be happy.
- She finds solace in her partner and her puppy.
- She finds it beneficial to talk with her therapist.
- Her mother taught her about kindness and love.
- She finds it difficult to reach out for support from her family.
How to Get Over It and On With It:
- Know that her mother will forever be in her heart.
- Live and do things in a way that will honor her mother, like making her favorite tea.
- Find joy in her memories and find joy alongside the tears and the loss.
- She is doing a great job of taking care of herself.
- Reach out to family members for support.
Air Doctor — is an air filter and air purifier that creates the healthiest environment in your home. It filters out dangerous contaminants and allergens with an ultra HEPA filter that removes 99.99% of tested bacteria and viruses. If you want to order an Air Doctor today with a 30-day money-back guarantee, go to AirDoctorPro.com and use promo code “Overit” and get up to 35% off on selected models.
Christine Hassler — Join the Free Over It and On With It Community
Tweetables:We only drown in feelings if we suppress them. Click To Tweet This year find a way to make memories that honor a person you lost. Click To Tweet Grief and love go together. Click To Tweet